Skip to content

Police issue warning after Markham puppy dies in suspected poisoning

While in a park with its owner, the dog ate an unknown substance placed in a water bottle that had been cut open, York Regional Police say
0
2019 05 24 YRP sleeve - use this one
Supplied photo/York Regional Police

NEWS RELEASE
YORK REGIONAL POLICE
*************************
Investigators with the York Regional Police #5 District Criminal Investigations Bureau are seeking witnesses and information regarding the death of a dog after it consumed potentially poisoned food in a park in the City of Markham.

On Thursday, May 21, 2020, York Regional Police received a report about a dog that died after eating something it found near the track at St. Brother Andre High School, in the area of 16th Avenue and Markham Road.

The dog’s owner reported that she had taken Hugo, an 11-month-old St. Bernard/Poodle mix for a walk, when it located a water bottle that had been cut open. Hugo began eating an unknown substance that was inside. Shortly afterwards, the dog became very ill and died.

The investigation is ongoing and police are seeking anyone who observed any suspicious activity in the area to come forward.

Police are also warning pet owners and parents to be vigilant and ensure that pets and children don’t eat anything found on the ground.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the York Regional Police #5 District Criminal Investigations Bureau at 1-866-876-5423, ext. 7541, Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-tips, or leave an anonymous tip online at www.1800222tips.com.

*************************