Skip to content

Overheated appliance cause of small kitchen fire in Newmarket

Fire crews were called out at about 5 p.m. June 9 to the Prospect multi-unit residence
20181207 cyfs truck
Central York Fire Services. Supplied photo/Facebook

Central York Fire Services were called to a home on Prospect Street in Newmarket after an overheating appliance started a small kitchen blaze last night.

 The call came in at 5:14 p.m., June 9, according to the fire department. 

Light smoke was reported at the scene, which is a multi-unit house. 

Crews were able to go into the unit and extinguish the fire.

No injuries or casualties were reported as a result of the blaze.

York Regional Police and EMS also attended the call. 

 Central York Fire Services offer safety tips for preventing cooking related fires, saying that leaving cooking unattended is the number one cause of home fires. 

Advice for residents includes not overloading electrical circuits and making sure cords are in good working condition, turning pot handles inward, keeping ovens and stoves clean of grease and never pouring water on a grease fire.



Comments


Elizabeth Keith

About the Author: Elizabeth Keith

Elizabeth Keith is a general assignment reporter. She graduated from Carleton University with a Bachelor of Journalism in 2017. Elizabeth is passionate about telling local stories and creating community.
Read more