Skip to content

Malfunctioning air conditioner cause of Newmarket townhouse fire

No injuries reported in the quickly extinguished blaze, Central York Fire Services deputy chief says

Central York Fire Services put out a blaze at 264 MacIver Blvd. last night caused by an electrical problem with an air conditioner unit.

Deputy Fire Chief Rocco Volpe said 21 firefighters responded around 7:40 p.m. Aug. 26 and were able to quickly put out the fire on the second floor of the townhouse. Fire billowed out from the window, with smoke visible throughout the neighbourhood.

Volpe said all the occupants had evacuated, and there were no injuries to them or firefighters. He said the situation went well, considering the time of night and the weather.

“It was a good, quick response,” Volpe said. “With the temperatures we’ve had, it was a well-executed plan.”

Volpe said the estimated damages are under $30,000, and the fire appears to have been caused by an electric issue with an air conditioner. 

The blaze attracted a crowd of citizens to watch as smoke filled the neighbourhood. Five fire service vehicles responded, along with police.

“We made a quick, aggressive attack on it and a quick knockdown,” Volpe said.

Reader Feedback

Joseph Quigley

About the Author: Joseph Quigley

Joseph is the municipal reporter for NewmarketToday.
Read more