Skip to content

Two-thirds of York public elementary students back in class, board says

80 per cent of York Region District School Board high school students to return to in-person learning
2020 08 17 back to school
File photo/Greg King for NewmarketToday

Two-thirds of families with elementary school-aged children will send them to school in September for in-person learning, York Region District School Board officials said today in a social media statement.

One-third of families have decided to keep their children who are in kindergarten to Grade 8 at home to participate in remote online learning.

The board said that 93 per cent of school families filled out its reopening registration form by the Aug. 14 deadline, with 67 per cent deciding to send their children back to school, and 33 per cent opting for online learning.

A higher number of families with children in the public board’s high schools, or 80 per cent, have decided on in-person learning. The remaining 20 per cent of secondary school students will learn remotely at home.

Ninety per cent of secondary school families responded to the board’s registration survey.

“We will be using these form results to finalize our timetables and to plan for a #SafeSeptember,” board officials said. “More information on timetables and school reopening will be coming soon. Thank you for your patience and your partnership.”

The York public board has released its return-to-school reopening plan for 2020 that includes safety protocols for elementary and secondary schools, special education supports, student transportation, and program and curriculum information. 

It is available here.

The York Catholic District School Board has extended its deadline for student registration until midnight tonight, Aug. 18, 2020.

It has released its 2020 return to school plan here. Answers to the most frequently asked questions about safety protocols, lunch and recess routines, program and curriculum information and more can be found here.