Two men face multiple charges after firearms were seized and two stolen vehicles discovered in an investigation in Markham that began with a report of a car on fire.
Officers were called to the area of Denison Street and Markham Road for a report of a vehicle on fire Thursday, May 18 at 10:20 a.m., according to York Regional Police.
When police and fire services arrived, they located a blue Honda Civic with smoke coming from the engine area, police said. When the fire was brought under control, officers observed fake licence plates on the vehicle and determined the car was stolen.
A nearby second vehicle was also identified as stolen.
Two loaded shotguns were recovered during searches of both vehicles, police said.
• Daniel Cabarios, 37, of Toronto
• Glen Young, 41, of no fixed address
• Unauthorized possession of a firearm x2
• Careless storage of a firearm x2
• Possession of a prohibited device
• Possession of a firearm knowing it is unauthorized x2
• Possession of property obtained by crime over $5,000
• Possess identity document of another x2
• Unauthorized possession of a firearm in a motor vehicle x2
Anyone with information is asked to contact the York Regional Police at 1-866-876-5423, ext. 7541, or call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS or leave an anonymous tip online.