Skip to content

UPDATE: 2 men injured in shooting on Main Street Newmarket

The injuries are not believed to be life-threatening, according to York Regional Police

One man was shot and another man has been injured in a shooting on Main Street South in Newmarket Friday night.

The injuries are not believed to be life-threatening, according to York Regional Police.

Two men who fled in a black Ford Mustang are wanted in the shooting that occurred at about 7:25 p.m. Nov. 12, police said.

Maddox Heacock lives in the area and said although he feels Main Street can be "a little bit sketchy," this is the first shooting he's aware has occurred.

"It is a little bit nerve-wracking," Heacock said. "Maybe I'll just stay away from here at night from now on." 

Robbie Chapman, who also lives nearby, said the situation is a bit of a shock, though he had experienced similar ones having previously lived in Toronto.

"It's never any good," Chapman said. "Hopefully, they find out who it was and why it happened, and they can do something about it." 

Witnesses are asked to call police at 905-830-0303, ext. 7100.

Main was partially closed from Davis Drive to Queen Street for the police investigation. York Regional Police said it is still investigating and looking for witnesses as of 11:50 a.m. Nov. 13. 

Officers on scene could not provide further details, but were interviewing residents and business owners and employees. They had also taped off Sun Star Bar and Grill at 13 Main St. S.

Check back here for further updates on this story.

— With files from Debora Kelly

 




Joseph Quigley

About the Author: Joseph Quigley

Joseph is the municipal reporter for NewmarketToday.
Read more