TOWN OF NEWMARKET
Ninety-five per cent of residents surveyed are satisfied with Newmarket as a place to live and four out of five residents are satisfied with overall service levels, according to the 2018 Community Survey conducted by the Town and MDB Insight.
“The feedback received from the Community Survey results support Newmarket’s reputation as one of the Best Places to Live in Canada, according to MoneySense Magazine,” says Mayor John Taylor. “This public input will help inform the new term of Council as we set strategic priorities for the 2018 to 2022 term, and strive to continue to make Newmarket a community that is well beyond the ordinary.”
The Town partnered with MDB Insight to gauge resident satisfaction and engagement with existing services. A total of 808 Newmarket residents participated in the survey that was conducted by telephone, including cellphones, to ensure the sample was representative of the population.
Key findings from the survey indicate that:
- 95 per cent of residents surveyed are satisfied with Newmarket as a place to live.
- 82 per cent of Newmarket residents surveyed are satisfied with municipal government. This statistic is at an all-time high, extending the upward trend that began in 2014.
- 85 per cent of residents surveyed felt they were receiving at least fair value for their tax dollars and user fees spent in support for Town services.
- Four out of five residents surveyed are satisfied with overall service levels provided by the Town, particularly in quality of service delivery.
- Very large increases in satisfaction levels were seen in several service areas around the organization.
“Town staff has a strong commitment to customer service excellence and we are pleased to see positive results around our overall service levels reflected in the survey,” says Acting CAO Esther Armchuk. “Staff will continue to deliver excellent services townwide, make adjustments to areas where there is opportunity for improvement, and continue to create an environment for extraordinary public service.”
Finally, the survey incorporated a Citizen Engagement Index which looks at residents’ levels of engagement in the community. The Index included questions asking residents if they would recommend Newmarket as a place to live, if they plan to reside in Newmarket for the foreseeable future and if they often get involved in community activities.
Results from the 2018 survey are consistent from 2014 with an overall rating of 72 per cent. These results will be used as a benchmark to determine how the Town can help raise levels of engagement among residents in the future.
To view the complete 2018 survey results please visit newmarket.ca or for more information, please call 905-895-5193.