Here's your chance to declutter and share the love with your neighbours.
On Curbside Giveaway Day, Saturday, April 27, you can place your unwanted, gently used items at the curb from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. for other residents to browse and take for their own use, free of charge. Be sure to attach labels identifying the goods are free.
You can download printable 'FREE' labels here.
If your items have not found a new home by 5 p.m., they must be removed from the curb.Curbside Giveaway Etiquette & Safety Tips:
- Items should still be in good condition for re-use or repair.
- Keep items you do not want to give away close to your house or inside to avoid confusion.
- Keep sidewalks and hydrants clear.
- Respect private property and do not walk on people's lawns or gardens and obey traffic laws at all times (e.g. do not block traffic and driveways or park illegally) and watch out for children.
- Only take items marked FREE.
What can be placed at the curb?
- Books, CDs and DVDs
- Furniture and small appliances
- Sports equipment and toys
- Yard and gardening equipment (e.g. lawn mowers, shovels, rakes)
- Kitchen gadgets, dishes, cutlery, pots and pans
- Construction material (e.g. nails, paint, wood) and tools
- Artwork and mirrors
Items that should not be placed at the curb:
- Items that could be infested with bed bugs (e.g. mattresses, furniture, bedding).
- Visit the Consumer Product Safety Bureau to find out about items that are not safe to give away
Visit York Region’s Bindicator waste search directory for locations where you can donate, recycle or dispose of any items that were not picked up.
If you are a giveaway aficionado, you can take pictures and post your offerings and great finds on BUNZ Inc. using #yrcurbalert. BUNZ is an online trading website where residents can post items to trade for other items. Be sure to follow these tips from York Regional Police when swapping, trading or buying and selling items.
Happy treasure hunting!