As of today, one third of York Region residents have received at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine.
More than 323,360 doses have been administered, despite ongoing struggles with delayed supplies of Moderna and AstraZeneca.
It took only 2-1/2 hours this morning for nearly 15,000 of 20,000 newly opened appointments to be booked at clinics across the region operated by York Region Public Health, according to York Region spokesperson Patrick Casey. More than 10,200 users were on the York Region booking site at the same time, he added.
With the new appointments came expanded eligibility to residents aged 60 and older and residents aged 35 and older in five high-priority hotspot communities in Vaughan and Markham.
Limited appointments remain available, Casey said, but take note, due to inclement weather forecasted for tomorrow, the drive-thru clinic at Canada’s Wonderland will be closed.
All appointments currently scheduled for Wednesday, April 21 at the Canada’s Wonderland clinic have been rebooked for Friday, April 23 at the same time as the original appointment.
Residents will be notified of updated appointments through the email address provided at the time of original booking, or will be contacted by phone, Casey said.
By age group, here's who has received a first dose:
- 42,929 doses to people age 80+, 87.6% of residents in this age bracket
- 29,106 doses to people age 75-79, 85.6% of residents in this age bracket
- 41,151 doses to people age 70-74, 77.6% of residents in this age bracket
- 43,604 doses to people age 65-69, 68.1% of residents in this age bracket
- 38,309 doses to people age 60-64, 48.5% of residents in this age bracket
- 29,482 doses to people age 55-59, 31.7% of residents in this age bracket
- 21,018 doses to people age 50-54, 22.8% of residents in this age bracket
- 17,352 doses to people age 45-49, 19.9% of residents in this age bracket
Today, the province announced select Shoppers Drug Mart pharmacies will offer 24/7 COVID-19 vaccinations for individuals age 40 and over (born 1981 or earlier) — of the 20 participating pharmacies, one is in York Region at 4000 Highway 7 in Vaughan.