Skip to content

Improperly discarded cigarette cause of balcony fire

Central York Fire Services found heavy smoke and fire on the first floor of the William Roe Blvd. building this morning.
0
20181207 cyfs truck
Central York Fire Services. Supplied photo/Facebook

Central York Fire Services (CYFS) was able to quickly put out a fire on a balcony at a condominium building on William Roe Blvd. this morning.

Firefighters found heavy smoke and fire on the first floor of the building on responding to the call at about 10 a.m.

The fire was contained to the balcony and prevented from spreading to the interior of the apartment, according to the CYFS incident report.

According to the report, "improperly discarded smoking material" was the cause of the fire.

No one was injured and one apartment unit received minor smoke damage. One resident was assessed and cleared by York Region Paramedic Services.

For information on fire prevention and fire safety, visit cyfs.ca



Comments