The Newmarket Chamber of Commerce has announced the local businesses and people that are finalists in the annual Business Excellence Awards.
"It's just to give recognition to people that poured their heart and soul into their business, and to really also highlight excellence," said chamber president Chris Emanuel.
He said other businesses can look to the award finalists as an example and learn from them, adding that "rising tides raise all boats."
A judging panel reviewed nominations to select three finalists for each category, with four finalists in one of the categories.
"We're very fortunate to have such wide-ranging businesses and it will be a very difficult job for the judges to pick a winner with such a great cross-section there," Emanuel added.
This year, there are three new award categories: leadership in diversity, equity and inclusion, business leader of the year, and startup of the year.
Moving forward, Emanuel said the judges will look at all the finalists and have in-depth interviews with each one before deciding who the winners will be. The awards will then be given out at a ceremony in October.
"It's an opportunity to just celebrate, especially during what's been a challenging few years," he said.
The finalists are:
Leadership in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Neighbourhood Network
- Newmarket African Caribbean Canadian Association
- Newmarket Public Library
Business Leader of the Year
- Wasim Jarrah, Concierge Real Estate by Wasim
- Michael Croxon, NewRoads Automotive Group
- Juliane McTavish-Goyette, Riverwalk Wealth Investia
Business Resilience Award
- A Million Mouthfuls Catering and Event Management
- Hungry Brew Hops - Good Eats
- Market Brewing Company
Large Business of the Year
- Celestica International LP
- Chaggares & Bonhomme, Chartered Professional Accountants
- Dentec Safety Specialists Inc.
Not for Profit of the Year
- Blue Door Shelters
- Cedar Centre
- Women's Centre of York Region
Innovative Startup of the Year
- Arcpoint Connect Inc.
- Julie Cryns - Grief Counselling & End of Life Doula
- Shippie Technologies Inc.
- TechEasy Inc.
New Business of the Year
- Earth Market
- Heading North Company
- The Maker's Mark
Impact in Marketing & Promotion
- Addison Marketing Solutions
- Market Candle Company Inc.
- Olive Oil Co. Inc. Barrie-Newmarket-Midland
Small Business of the Year
- Patti Wilson Design Inc.
- Stella Graphix Inc.
- Studio Forma Interior Design Inc.
Professional Services of the Year
- Blank Canvas Getaways
- Miller Orthodontics