This is one list Newmarket can be thankful not to have made.
Pest control company Orkin Canada today released its list of the Top 25 Rattiest Cities in Ontario, with the GTA accounting for four of the five top spots.
Toronto is followed by Mississauga, Scarborough, London and Etobicoke, which make up the top five cities on the list.
In York Region, Markham is No. 14, Concord is No. 19 and Richmond Hill is No. 20.
The company has noted a shift in where rodents are being spotted in the last six months, when the COVID-19 pandemic forced a lockdown of restaurants and many businesses, according to a news release.
Rodents have migrated to residential neighbourhoods, with higher than usual waste from people working and studying from home, Orkin said.
This year’s list saw some major changes since last year, with Ottawa moving from No. 4 to 12, and Sudbury moving from No. 5 to No. 8.
The rankings are based on the number of commercial and residential rodent (rats and mice) treatments carried out in the province by Orkin, one of the country's largest pest control firm, from July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2020.
Here are five tips to help prevent rodents from entering your home:
- Seal cracks or holes with caulk or foam and install weather stripping around windows and doors.
- Keep shrubbery at least a metre away from the home exterior.
- Eliminate moisture sources, such as clogged gutters.
- Keep food preparation areas clean inside the home and thoroughly clean spills and crumbs.
- Clean trash cans regularly and ensure they are covered tightly.
A complete list of Ontario’s rattiest cities can be downloaded here.