YORK REGIONAL POLICE
York Regional Police has laid firearms and drug charges after a traffic stop in the City of Richmond Hill.
On Thursday, March 10, 2022, at approximately 11:30 p.m., officers with the York Regional Police #2 District Criminal Investigations Property Crime Team observed a vehicle driving dangerously that failed to stop at several red lights going south on Yonge Street, near Highway 407. The vehicle was involved in a prior incident where the driver fled from police.
To avoid a potential pursuit, officers engaged Air2 to assist in monitoring and following the vehicle until it could be safely stopped. The vehicle stopped at a location in the City of Mississauga where officers arrested the driver at gunpoint.
The driver and the vehicle were searched and officers located a loaded handgun and a quantity of cocaine.
The investigation is ongoing.
Charged: Daggem Tsegaye, 25, of Toronto
- Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm in a Motor Vehicle
- Tampering with a Serial Number of a Firearm
- Possession of Proceeds of Property Obtain by Crime Under $5,000
- Possession of a Firearm or Ammunition Contrary to Prohibition Order
- Possession of a Weapon
- Possession of a Prohibited Device or Ammunition Knowing its Possession is Unauthorized
- Possession of a Loaded Prohibited or Restricted Firearm
- Possession of a Firearm Knowing its Possession is Unauthorized
- Possession for the Purpose of Trafficking – Cocaine
- Fail to Comply with a Judicial Release Order x3
- Dangerous Operation
- Carrying a Concealed Weapon
- Careless Storage of a Firearm
- Careless Storage of Ammunition
- Breach of Probation
Anyone with information is asked to contact the York Regional Police #2 District Criminal Investigations Bureau at 1-866-876-5423, ext. 7241, or call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS, leave an anonymous tip online at www.1800222tips.com