SOUTH SIMCOE POLICE SERVICE
South Simcoe Police Service officers are warning homeowners to beware of driveway paving scams.
We have received complaints about door-to-door sales people offering discounts on driveway paving using re-purposed asphalt. Work was completed, cash exchanged however customers say the job was substandard.
The contractors identified themselves by first names only and had no company logos on their vehicles.
South Simcoe Police Service is encouraging residents to be wary if they are approached at their door by someone claiming to be from a legitimate company of any kind. Don't assume that because a person soliciting has business cards, contracts or any type of paperwork that they are part of a legitimate company.
Be especially cautious of anyone who wishes to deal only in cash.
Here are some tips:
- Don't be pressured. Listen to your inner voice. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is
- Check references to ensure the company is legitimate and visit the company website
- Request to see a business licence for the company
- Get family members to review written contracts
- Inspect all work prior to making payment, ensure work has been completed properly and that the service you received was what you had paid for in your business contract
- Always be careful about providing confidential personal information, especially banking and credit card details, unless you are certain that the company is legitimate