YORK REGIONAL POLICE
York Regional Police #3 District Property Crime Investigators are asking for any victims to come forward after a suspect was arrested for numerous thefts from vehicles overnight.
On Tuesday, Oct. 20, 2020 at approximately 11:30 p.m., officers on patrol in the area of Irene Drive and the Queensway South observed a man carrying numerous bags and acting suspiciously. The man was found to be wanted on a number of warrants and a large amount of property, believed to be stolen from vehicles in the area, was found in his possession.
Investigators believe he may have entered as many as 25 to 30 vehicles and are asking any victims to contact #3 District Criminal Investigations Bureau between 4 and 10 p.m. today, when the stolen property will be available to be viewed and identified.They can call 1-866-876-5423 ext. 7341.
• James Slatcher, 30, Town of Courtice
• Theft under $5,000 from a motor vehicle x3
• Possession of property obtained by crime under $5,000 x3
• Fail to comply x3
• Possession of break and enter tools
• Obstruct peace officer
York Regional Police is reminding citizens to lock it or lose it as thefts from vehicles are on the rise throughout York Region.
Thefts typically occur when vehicles are left unattended and unlocked for long periods of time, such as in residential driveways, commuter lots and parking lots of businesses. Make no mistake, it can happen in just seconds. These types of incidents are known to increase during the fall months.
Investigators have released a video that shows just how fast a theft from an unlocked vehicle can happen. Watch as the thief enters the victim’s car, helps themselves to a drink and makes off with the victim's belongings in under 30 seconds.
York Regional Police reminds citizens not to make it any easier for thieves. Protect your vehicle from theft with a few simple precautions:
• Always roll up your vehicle’s windows, lock the doors and take the key
• Never leave your vehicle unattended while it is running
• If you have a garage, use it, and lock the door as well as your vehicle
• Never leave your car keys in plain view or in an easily accessible area
• Never leave valuable objects or packages in full view. Put them in the trunk
Anyone with information is asked to contact the York Regional Police #3 District Criminal Investigations Bureau at 1-866-876-5423, ext.7341, or call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-tips, or leave an anonymous tip online.