YORK REGIONAL POLICE
Investigators with the York Regional Police #4 District Criminal Investigations Bureau would like to thank our community and the media as tips received led to four suspects being identified and taken into custody following a shooting that occurred in the parking lot of Pierre Berton Resource Library in the City of Vaughan.
On Monday, June 3, 2019 at 1:44 p.m., police were called to the parking lot of the library, located at 4901 Rutherford Rd., for a report of a shooting. When officers arrived they closed off the parking lot but saw no immediate signs that a shooting had occurred.
Emily Carr Secondary School, which is located nearby, was in a hold and secure while officers investigated. Officers later learned that a 16-year-old boy had been driven to hospital suffering from a minor gunshot wound.
Officers attended and confirmed that the student from Emily Carr Secondary School was involved in an altercation in the parking lot of the library when he was shot.
On Wednesday, June 5, 2019, investigators arrested and charged one of the suspects.
- 17-year-old male youth, City of Vaughan
- Accessory after the fact – attempted murder
- Accessory after the fact – discharge firearm with intent
Investigators appealed to the public for their assistance to identify three remaining suspects. Tips that were received led to the identification of the suspects and they have all been taken into custody without further incident.
- Huzafah Gondal, 18, City of Brampton
- Anthony Peynado-Tremblett, 19, City of Brampton
- Kajan Yoganathan, 18, City of Brampton
- Attempted murder
- Discharge a firearm
- Party to the offence of – attempted murder
- Party to the offence of – discharge firearm with intent
- Possession of ammunition
- Possesion for the purpose of trafficking
Anyone with information is asked to contact the #4 District Criminal Investigations Bureau at 1-866-876-5423, ext. 7441, or call Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-TIPS, or leave an anonymous tip online.