YORK REGIONAL POLICE
York Regional Police has laid charges against two men after hazardous, explosive materials were located at a residence in the City of Richmond Hill.
On Thursday, May 9, 2019, York Regional Police began an investigation after receiving information regarding a suspect who was investigated by United States Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA).
On Friday, May 10, York Regional Police executed a search warrant at a residence on Larratt Lane and located a quantity of hazardous, explosive materials as well as a detonator device.
Officers with the Ontario Provincial Police and the York Regional Police Explosives Detection Unit attended the residence to ensure the safe removal of the materials. The hazardous materials have been removed and neighbours who were evacuated as a precaution, have been allowed back to their residences.
On Monday, May 13, 2019, two suspects were arrested and are now facing charges.
- Mahyar Mohammadiasl, 18, of Richmond Hill
- Reza Mohammadiasl, 47, of Richmond Hill
Possession of explosive device
This investigation is ongoing. Investigators are asking anyone who knows the accused parties or anyone who has information that may assist in the investigation, to please come forward.
Possession of dangerous chemicals can pose serious risks, including fires and explosions. Members of the public are asked to report any suspicious activity, chemical odours, unusual storage or stockpiling of chemicals and take the following precautions when they come across suspicious materials.
- Never drink, eat, touch or inhale materials that are believed to be hazardous chemicals. Even slightly inhaling a chemical can cause serious injury
- If a material is suspected hazardous, evacuate the area immediately and call 9-1-1
- If you witness anyone dumping material that appears to be hazardous waste, get the best description as possible and call police immediately. Never approach the suspects
This investigation is ongoing, anyone with information is asked to contact the York Regional Police designated tip line at 1-866-876-5423, ext. 6075 or call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-tips or leave an anonymous tip online at www.1800222tips.com.