Newmarket is celebrating tomorrow's Canada Day differently this year.
Restrictions implemented by the Ontario government to halt the spread of COVID-19 remain in place, including no gathering in groups larger than 10 and staying apart by at least six feet or two metres unless you're from the same household or social circle.
Although Newmarket and York Region is now in stage 2 of reopening, many businesses will be closed on Wednesday, including Upper Canada Mall.
The Town of Newmarket has cancelled all in-person events and is encouraging you to join a cross-country virtual Canada Day celebration, including fireworks. At 10 p.m., point your smartphone or tablet to the night sky and a three-minute show displaying 3D fireworks will begin. Click here for other other activities and events.
If you're holding your own fireworks display, you can check for rules and safety guidelinese here, inlcuding permitted locations and days.
- Parks, green spaces and trails, with physical distancing requirements
- Tim Hortons Water Feature at Riverwalk Commons, with physical distancing requirements
- Splash pads at 170 London Rd and 850 Memorial Circle, with physical distancing requirements
- Some malls and shopping centres (not Upper Canada Mall or Hillcrest Mall ), including Promenade Shopping Mall (11 a.m. to 6 p.m.), Vaughan Mills, Tanger Outlet (10 a.m. to 6 p.m.), CF Markville Mall. Not all retail outlets in the malls are open, so call ahead.
- Some grocery stores, including the Walmart Supercentre on Yonge Street, but call ahead.
- GO Transit will be running on a Saturday schedule, check here for more.
- Transit in York Region will be running on a Saturday schedule. Click here for more.
- Some health clinics, pharmacies. You can search for local pharmacies and clinics here.
- Upper Canada Mall
- LCBO and Beer stores
- Most banks and businesses
- Newmarket Public Library curbside pickup
- Movie theatres remain closed
- Canada Post will not collect or deliver mail, though postal outlets operated by the private sector will be open
- Town of Newmarket Municipal Offices, Newmarket Public Library, Newmarket Theatre, Ray Twinney Recreation Complex, Seniors' Meeting Place, Elman W. Campbell Museum, Old Town Hall
Some tourist sites are open in Toronto with ticket purchases required in advance online, including: