Southlake Regional Health Centre has been named in lists of the top 10 hospitals in Ontario and top 25 hospitals in Canada by U.S. magazine Newsweek.
"Evaluated among the best medical institutions in 28 countries, Southlake raised its position by three spots compared to last year’s results in the World’s Best Hospitals ranking," according to a Southlake news release.
Southlake is at No. 25 in the World's Best Hospitals - Canada list.
In collaboration with consumer research firm Statista, the World’s Best Hospitals ranking by Newsweek was developed with input from a global board of medical experts. Four data sources were used for the evaluation:
- Recommendations from medical experts: an international online survey sent to more than 80,000 health-care professionals;
- Patient experience: publicly available data from existing patient surveys;
- Patient-reported outcome measures: standardized, validated questionnaires completed by patients to measure their perception of their functional well-being and quality of life
- Hospital quality metrics: quality of care measures for specific treatments, and indicators such as hygiene measures and patient safety.
“We are honoured to be considered among the best hospitals in the country,” said Arden Krystal, president and CEO of Southlake. “Southlake is committed to building healthy communities through outstanding care, innovative partnerships, and amazing people. This recognition is a testament to the innovative and compassionate work of our doctors, nurses and staff in delivering an exceptional patient experience.”
“This recognition is incredibly rewarding, especially at a time when our teams have been through so much over the last several years,” said Dr. Charmaine van Schaik, chief of staff at Southlake. “This award shows our team is continuing to provide leading-edge care to the communities we serve, despite working under less-than-ideal circumstances. Thank you to Southlake’s entire team for their ongoing dedication and compassion.”
The hospital states that while it serves some of the fastest growing and aging communities in Ontario, it has not received a significant acute care expansion since 2003.
"Since then, the number of patients treated in Southlake’s emergency department has nearly doubled and the hospital is regularly over capacity. The organization is currently in the planning process to build a new state-of-the-art hospital and redevelop the existing site to meet the growing demand."
Top 25 World's Best Hospitals - Canada
- Toronto General - University Health Network, Toronto
- Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Toronto
- Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto
- North York General Hospital,Toronto
- Centre hospitalier de l'Université de Montréal, Montreal
- Montreal General Hospital - McGill University Health Centre, Montreal
- Jewish General Hospital, Montreal
- VCH - Vancouver General Hospital, Vancouver
- Unity Health Toronto - St. Michael’s Hospital, Toronto
- The Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa
- Toronto Western - University Health Network, Toronto
- Rockyview General Hospital, Calgary
- McGill University Health Centre, Montreal
- Foothills Medical Centre, Calgary
- Hamilton Health Sciences - McMaster University Medical Centre, Hamilton
- Peter Lougheed Centre, Calgary
- Queen Elizabeth II Health Sciences Centre, Halifax
- Royal Jubilee Hospital, Victoria
- Royal Alexandra Hospital, Edmonton
- Queensway Carleton Hospital, Ottawa
- Saskatoon City Hospital, Saskatoon
- Grey Nuns Community Hospital - Covenant Health, Edmonton
- VCH - UBC Hospital, Vancouver
- University of Alberta Hospital, Edmonton
- Southlake Regional Health Centre, Newmarket