SPECIAL INVESTIGATIONS UNIT
Mississauga - The province’s Special Investigations Unit is investigating the circumstances surrounding the serious injuries sustained today by a man when the cruiser in which he was detained was struck by another vehicle.
Preliminary information suggests the following:
- Around noon on Jan, 10, 2019, a York Regional Police officer was on westbound Highway 407 when he pulled over a vehicle just west of Jane Street.
- The driver of the vehicle was asked to sit in the backseat of the cruiser, which was parked on the shoulder of the highway.
- Shortly after, the cruiser was rear-ended by another vehicle.
- The man detained in the cruiser was seriously injured and transported to hospital for treatment.
- The police officer and the driver of the other vehicle sustained minor injuries and were also taken to hospital.
Three investigators, two forensic investigators and one collision reconstructionist have been assigned to this incident.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have information about this investigation to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529. The Unit is also urging anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU website.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.