The fire service estimates the damage to the two-story, detached home to be about $500,000, Comeau added.
There were no other reported casualties in the fire called in at about 7:20 p.m. Dec. 6, thanks to the early warning provided by the working smoke alarms in the home, Comeau said.
Careless smoking caused the fire at the house in the Stonehaven subdivision.
Firefighters noted smoke and fire coming from the second story of the home when they arrived. The occupants had already escaped outside after calling in the emergency themselves.
The Office of the Fire Marshal and the fire service’s internal fire prevention division sent representatives to the scene this morning.
The CYFS wish to remind Newmarket residents to smoke safely. If you are a smoker, refrain from smoking inside.
Here are quick facts about smoking and fires in Ontario:
- Smoking accounts for eight
per centof all home fires annually in Ontario;
per centof smoking fires are causedby “improper discarding” of smoking materials;
- 1 in 10 smoking fires result in an injury or death;
- Smoking causes 1 in 4 home fire fatalities;
- The average dollar loss per smoking fire in Ontario is $37,000;
- In a fire emergency, every second counts. Provincial laws enforcing working smoke alarms save lives;
- In a fire emergency, it is import to react immediately. Upon hearing the smoke alarm, exit immediately to call 9-1-1;
- Do not
spend time tryingto suppress the fire. Fire can double in size every minute. Central York Fire Services urge residents to make their primary focus escape and alerting the emergency services by calling 9-1-1 from outside the home.
For information on fire prevention and fire safety, the life-span of your alarms and maintenance tips, visit here.
Editor's note: Story updated at 4:36 p.m. with new information from Deputy Chief Robert Comeau.