Skip to content

COVID-19: A look at the numbers for Newmarket, York Region, Ontario on Tuesday

2 more deaths in Newmarket, totalling 58, as outbreaks in long-term care, group homes, hospital units rise to 16; York Region reports 12 more deaths, tallying 811, as institutional outbreaks rise over 100; Southlake reports 77 COVID hospitalizations, 5 in ICU; Ontario reports 38 more deaths, a record 4,183 hospitalizations, 580 in ICU
COVID testing
Stock photo

Some data for York Region Public Health is cumulative from Friday, Jan. 14 as its dashboard is not updated on weekends.

Newmarket (reported Monday, Jan. 17 at 5 p.m.)

  • 5,987 cases of COVID-19 
  • 46 new cases since Jan. 16
    • 14 unvaccinated, 32 fully vaccinated
  • 221 active cases
  • 2 more deaths, totalling 56
    • A 63-year-old Newmarket man passed away Jan. 13 at Southlake Regional Health Centre (Onset of symptoms Dec. 18, exposure unknown)
    • An 86-year-old Newmarket woman passed away Jan. 12 at Southlake Regional Health Centre (Onset of symptoms Dec. 31, exposure outbreak Alexander Muir Retirement Residence, Newmarket)
  • 16 (+1) institutional outbreaks: 
    • Community Living Central York, 1 client, 2 staff
    • CBI Health, 1 client, 4 (+1) staff
    • Chartwell Barton Retirement Residence, 4 residents, 3 (+1) staff
    • Mackenzie Place Long-term Care Home, 8 (+2) staff
    • Selby Group Home, 3 residents, 5 staff
    • Eagle Terrace Long-term Care Home, 2 residents, 6 (+1) staff
    • The Renoir Retirement Residence, 2 (+1) residents, 3 (+2) staff
    • Community Living Newmarket, 2 clients, 1 staff 
    • Chartwell Alexander Muir Retirement Residence, 9 residents, 11 staff
    • The Roxborough Retirement Residence, 1 resident, 8 (+1) staff
    • Southlake Regional Health Centre (unit outbreak #2), 11 patients, 5 (+2) staff
    • Southlake Regional Health Centre (unit outbreak #3), 4 patients, 1 staff
    • Canadian Back Institute, 4 patients, 1 staff
    • Newmarket Health Centre, 10 residents, 35 (+2) staff
    • Inn From the Cold, 14 clients, 12 (+1) staff
    • Southlake Residential Care Village, 15 residents, 45 (+1) staff

The Details 

  • 1,486 (+4) household cases close contact, or 25%
  • 370 (+3) non-household close contact, or 6%
  • 1,170 (+4) cases community transmission, or 20%
  • 519 (+15) cases institutional outbreak, or 9%
  • 1,899 (+105) cases under investigation, or 32%
  • 128 (+0) cases school outbreak, or 2%
  • 79 (+3) cases travel, or 1%
  • 331 (+2) cases workplace outbreak, or 6%
  • 1,669 (+5) cases age 19 to 34, or 28%
  • 963 (+35) cases age 35 to 44, or 16%
  • 936 (+28) cases age 45 to 54, or 16%
  • 791 (+37) cases age 55 to 64, or 13%
  • 497 (+18) cases age 4 to 13, or 8%
  • 401 (+19) cases age 65 to 79, or 7%
  • 371 (+13) cases age 14 to 18, or 6%
  • 205 (+5) cases age 80+, or 3%
  • 163 (+7) cases age 0 to 3, or 3%

York Region (reported Monday, Jan. 17 at 5 p.m.)

  • 86,968 confirmed cases of COVID-19
  • 557 new cases since Jan. 16 
    • 154 unvaccinated, 16 partially vaccinated, 387 fully vaccinated
  • 3,434 active cases
  • 12 more deaths, totalling 811
    • A 74-year-old Whitchurch-Stouffville man passed away Jan. 13 at Markham Stouffville Hospital, Markham (Onset of symptoms Dec. 20, exposure close contact)
    • A 91-year-old Markham man passed away Jan. 13 at Markham Stouffville Hospital, Markham (Onset of symptoms Dec. 26, exposure close contact)
    • An 82-year-old Vaughan man passed away Jan. 11 at Mackenzie Health Hospital, Richmond Hill (Onset of symptoms Dec. 26, exposure unknown)
    • A 63-year-old Newmarket man passed away Jan. 13 at Southlake Regional Health Centre, Newmarket (Onset of symptoms Dec. 18, exposure unknown)
    • A 95-year-old Aurora woman passed away Jan. 11 at Mackenzie Health Hospital, Richmond Hill (Onset of symptoms Jan. 8, exposure unknown)
    • A 102-year-old Vaughan woman passed away Jan. 14 at Etobicoke General Hospital, Toronto (Onset of symptoms Jan. 2, exposure outbreak at Villa Leonardo Gambin LTC, Vaughan)
    • A 64-year-old Richmond Hill man passed away Jan. 10 at Mackenzie Health Hospital, Richmond Hill (Onset of symptoms Dec. 15, exposure unknown)
    • A 74-year-old Georgina woman passed away Jan. 12 at Southlake Regional Health Centre, Newmarket (Onset of symptoms Jan. 11, exposure outbreak Halsey Lodge Adult Care Facility, Georgina)
    • An 86-year-old Newmarket woman passed away Jan. 12 at Southlake Regional Health Centre, Newmarket (Onset of symptoms Dec. 31, exposure outbreak Alexander Muir Retirement Residence, Newmarket)
    • A 64-year-old Richmond Hill man passed away Jan. 10 at Mackenzie Health Hospital, Richmond Hill (Onset of symptoms Dec. 15, exposure unknown)
    • An 85-year-old Vaughan man passed away Jan. 12 at Mackenzie Health Hospital, Richmond Hill (Onset of symptoms Jan. 12, exposure local transmission)
    • A 94-year-old Aurora man passed away Jan. 7 at Chartwell Aurora, LTC Home (Onset of symptoms asymptomatic, exposure outbreak at Chartwell Aurora LTC)
    • A 52-year-old Vaughan woman passed away Jan. 9 at Mackenzie Health Hospital, Richmond Hill (Onset of symptoms Dec. 15, exposure unknown
  • 5,995 new cases in last 7 days
  • 107 (+12) institutional outbreaks: 
    • New outbreaks declared Jan. 17 at:
      • 360 Kids Markham
      • Cedar Heights Residential Living, Markham
      • Community Living Central York – Newmarket
      • Community Living York South 9 (Outbreak #2), Richmond Hill
      • Kristus Darzs Latvian LTC Home (Outbreak #4), Vaughan
      • L'Arche Daybreak - Richmond Hill, community living
      • Mackenzie Health Hospital (Outbreak #14), Richmond Hill
      • Mariann Home LTC, Richmond Hill
      • New Leaf – Aspen, community living (Outbreak #4), East Gwillimbury
      • Oakdale Child and Family Services – Stouffville, community living, Whitchurch-Stouffville
  • New outbreaks declared Jan. 14 at:
    • 360 Kids Richmond Hill (Outbreak #2)
    • Christian Horizons – King, community living
    • Community Living York South – Aurora, community living
    • Community Living York South – Stouffville, Whitchurch-Stouffville
    • Deaf Blind Ontario, community living, Georgina

COVID-19 cases reported by Southlake Regional Health Centre as of Jan. 18

  • Number of patients with COVID-19 in ICU: 5 (-2)
  • Total number of patients with COVID-19: 77 (+3) (includes critical care)

Recovery Measures 

Vaccinations (York Region residents, administered anywhere)

  • 6,445 doses administered, 637 newly vaccinated, 4,850 dose 3 on Jan. 16
  • 82.7% residents with 1 dose; 77.3% with 2 doses, 37.9% with 3 doses
  • residents 12+ 89.6% 1 dose, 87.6% 2 doses
  • residents 5+ 86.9% 1 dose, 81.3% 2 doses 
  • 56.1% 5-11 vaccinated at least 1 dose

The Details  

  • 23,117 (+97) cases, or 26%, household close contact
  • 5,950 (+56) cases, or 7%, non-household close contact
  • 21,528 (+82) cases, or 24%, community transmission
  • 5,011 (+250) cases, or 6%, institutional outbreak
  • 25,968 (+2,556) cases, or 29%, under investigation
  • 1,153 (+22) cases, or 1%, travel
  • 2,139 (+0) cases, or 2%, school outbreak
  • 5,003 (+10) cases, or 6%, workplace outbreak
  • 25,168 (+835) cases age 19 to 34, or 28%
  • 14,577 (+496) cases age 45 to 54, or 16%
  • 13,010 (+498) cases ages 35 to 44, or 14%
  • 12,322 (+900) cases age 55 to 64, or 14%
  • 7,848 (+251) cases age 4 to 13, or 9%
  • 6,454 (+241) cases age 65 to 79, or 7%
  • 5,568 (+150) cases age 14 to 18, or 6%
  • 3,053 (+137) cases age 80+, or 3%
  • 1,967 (+80) cases age 0 to 3, or 2%

Around the region:

  • Vaughan 34,968 (+140) cases, 1,765 cases in last 7 days, 1,093 active
  • Markham 20,465 (+129) cases, 1,394 cases in last 7 days, 948 active
  • Richmond Hill 13,375 (+117) cases, 980 cases in last 7 days, 508 active
  • Newmarket 5,987 (+46) cases, 480 cases in last 7 days, 221 active
  • Aurora 3,858 (+35) cases, 315 cases in last 7 days, 139 active
  • Whitchurch-Stouffville 2,848 (+19) cases, 232 cases in last 7 days, 133 active
  • Georgina 2,438 (+19) cases, 283 ^ cases in last 7 days, 110 active
  • East Gwillimbury 2,142 (+13) cases, 151 cases in last 7 days, 69 active
  • King 2,168 (+19) cases, 143 cases in last 7 days, 64 active

 

Ontario (reported at 10:30 a.m. on Jan. 18 for Jan. 17)

  • 963,693 confirmed cases of COVID-19 
  • 7,086 new cases since Jan. 16
    • 1,087 unvaccinated; 245 partially vaccinated; 5,439 fully vaccinated; 314 unknown*
  • 38 more deaths, totalling 10,666 (1 death occurred more than 1 month ago) 
  • 89.4% of cases resolved 
  • 4,183 total hospitalized: 739 unvaccinated; 195 partially vaccinated; 2,050 fully vaccinated*
  • 580 in ICU: 195 unvaccinated; 17 partially vaccinated; 199 fully vaccinated* 
  • 337 (+13) on a ventilator
  • *Vaccination status numbers may not match the daily COVID-19 case reports due to missing health card information.

Vaccinations

  • 89% ages 12+ 2 doses, 3% one dose, totalling 91%
  • 82% ages 5+ 2 doses, 6% one dose, totalling 88%
  • 78% all ages 2 doses, 6% one dose, totalling 84%

Data note from York Region Public Health: With the rapid transmission of omicron and recent provincial changes in testing eligibility and case management, case counts and outbreaks reported on the interactive dashboard are an underestimate of the true number of individuals with COVID-19 and outbreaks in York Region. Case counts and trends should be interpreted with caution. Public health units across Ontario are prioritizing case management of high-risk individuals and settings. Workplace outbreaks are no longer being reported.