Skip to content

COVID-19: A look at the numbers for Newmarket, York Region, Ontario on Tuesday

6 new cases in Newmarket, 2 unvaccinated and 4 fully vaccinated, with 2 active school outbreaks; York Region confirms 52 new cases, 1 new school outbreaks in Markham, totalling 13 with 63 cases; Ontario reports 613 new cases, 9 more deaths, as hospitalizations remain stable
COVID-19 school 2
Stock photo

Some York Region Public Health data is cumulative from Nov. 19 as the public dashboard is not updated on weekends.

Newmarket (reported Monday, Nov. 22 at 5 p.m.)

  • 3,532 cases of COVID-19 
  • 6 new cases since Nov. 21
    • 2 unvaccinated, 4 fully vaccinated 
  • 11 (-17) active cases
  • 0 more deaths, totalling 52
  • 1,592 (+5) variant cases, 1 (-9) active
  • 2 (+0) school outbreaks: Crossland P.S., 5 students; Newmarket H.S., 3 students
  • 5 (-3) schools in surveillance
    • Clearmeadow P.S., 2 students
    • Mazo De La Roche P.S., 1 student
    • Sir William Mulock S.S., 1 student
    • Stonehaven P.S., 1 student, 1 staff
    • Dr. John M. Denison S.S, 3 students, 1 staff
  • 87.8% residents 12+ fully vaccinated
  • 13 tests Nov. 16, 0 positive (0.0% positivity)

The Details 

  • 1,293 (+1) household cases close contact, or 37%
  • 291 (+3) non-household close contact, or 8%
  • 1,091 (+3) cases community transmission, or 31%
  • 395 (+0) cases institutional outbreak, or 12%
  • 48 (+0) cases under investigation, or 1%
  • 68 (+0) cases school outbreak
  • 57 (+0) cases travel, or 1%
  • 285 (+1) cases workplace outbreak, or 8%
  • 893 (+0) cases age 19 to 34, or 26%
  • 608 (+1) cases age 35 to 44, or 17%
  • 557 (+2) cases age 45 to 54, or 16%
  • 466 (+4) cases age 55 to 64, or 13%
  • 283 (+0) cases age 4 to 13, or 8%
  • 261 (+0) cases age 65 to 79, or 8%
  • 213 (+0) cases age 14 to 18, or 6%
  • 142 (+1) cases age 80+, or 4%
  • 109 (+0) cases age 0 to 3, or 3%

York Region (reported Monday, Nov. 22 at 5 p.m.)

  • 58,379 confirmed cases of COVID-19
  • 52 new cases since Nov. 21   
    • 28 unvaccinated, 6 partially vaccinated, 18 fully vaccinated
  • 217 (-27) active cases
  • 1 more death, totalling 776
    • A 57-year-old Vaughan man passed away Oct. 30 at Toronto General Hospital (Exposure close contact, onset of symptoms Sept. 30)
  • 272 new cases in last 7 days, of which 40.0% are unvaccinated (ages 12+) 
  • 22,855 (+54) variant cases, 26 (-41) active, 185 deaths
  • 6 (+0) workplace outbreaks
    • 1 construction, 1 food manufacturing; 1 product/material manufacturing; 2 restaurant/food service, 1 unknown

Active school and child care cases

  • 13 (-3) school outbreaks: 63 (-46) students, 0 (-1) staff
    • New outbreaks at St. Julia Billiart Catholic Elementary School, Markham
  • 1 (-1) school closed: Our Lady of Fatima C.E.S., Vaughan., 12 students
  • 46 (+4) schools under surveillance: 50 (-2) students; 9 (+3) staff
  • 2 (+0) child care outbreaks: 6 (+1) children, 1 staff

Recovery Measures 

Vaccinations (York Region residents, administered anywhere)

  • 462 doses administered, 147 newly vaccinated on Nov. 21 
  • 77.4% residents with 1 dose; 75.4% with 2 doses
  • residents 12+ 88.4% 1 dose, 86.2% 2 doses 

The Details  

  • 21,175 (+57) cases, or 36%, household close contact
  • 5,122 (+11) cases, or 9%, non-household close contact
  • 20,447 (+32) cases, or 35%, community transmission
  • 4,188 (+0) cases, or 8%, institutional outbreak
  • 722 (+1) cases, or 1%, under investigation
  • 867 (+11) cases, or 1%, travel
  • 1,252 (+20) cases, or 2%, school outbreak
  • 4,521 (+3) cases, or 8%, workplace outbreak
  • 15,415 (+14) cases age 19 to 34, or 27%
  • 9,774 (+32) cases age 45 to 54, or 17%
  • 8,584 (+19) cases ages 35 to 44, or 15%
  • 7,931 (+19) cases age 55 to 64, or 14%
  • 4,865 (+13) cases age 65 to 79, or 8%
  • 4,754 (+35) cases age 4 to 13, or 8%
  • 3,462 (+5) cases age 14 to 18, or 6%
  • 2,257 (+2) cases age 80+, or 4%
  • 1,337 (+7) cases age 0 to 3, or 2%

Around the region:

  • Vaughan 24,638 (+53) cases, 106 ^ cases in last 7 days, 84 (-9) active
  • Markham 13,338 (+16) cases, 51 cases in last 7 days, 40 (-8) active
  • Newmarket 3,532 (+8) cases, 14 cases in last 7 days, 11 (-17) active
  • Richmond Hill 8,321 (+21) cases, 33 ^ cases in last 7 days, 28 (+4) active
  • King 1,383 (+12) cases, 26 cases in last 7 days, 20 (+0) active
  • East Gwillimbury 1,251 (+7) cases, 11 cases in last 7 days, 5 (-4) active
  • Aurora 2,088 (+4) cases, 7 cases in last 7 days, 6 (-2) active
  • Whitchurch-Stouffville 1,670 (+7) cases, 11 ^ cases in last 7 days, 11 (+4) active
  • Georgina 1,416 (+7) cases, 9 ^ cases in last 7 days, 8 (+3) active

Ontario (reported at 10:30 a.m. on Nov. 23, for Nov. 22)

  • 612,931 confirmed cases of COVID-19 
  • 613 new cases since Nov. 21
    • 385 unvaccinated; 22 partially vaccinated; 323 fully vaccinated, 63 unknown* 
  • 9 more deaths, totalling 9,974 (3 removed from cumulative total due to data cleaning)
  • 97.5% of cases resolved 
  • 282 total hospitalized: 95 unvaccinated; 9 partially vaccinated; 66 fully vaccinated*
  • 111 in ICU: 60 unvaccinated; 2 partially vaccinated; 12 fully vaccinated* 
  • 81 on a ventilator
  • *Vaccination status numbers may not match the daily COVID-19 case reports due to missing health card information. 

Cases in school, child care centres 

  • 277 new school cases since Nov. 21
  • 6,624 total cases: 5,863 students, 656 staff, 105 N/A
  • 647, 13.36%, schools with reported cases (10 closed)
  • 26 new child care cases since Nov. 21
  • 9,114 total cases: 5,771 children, 3,343 staff
  • 129, 2.37%, centres with confirmed cases (28 closed)

Vaccinations

  • 86% ages 12+ 2 doses, 3% one dose, totalling 89%
  • 75% all ages 2 doses, 3% one dose, totalling 78% 


Comments


Elizabeth Keith

About the Author: Elizabeth Keith

Elizabeth Keith is a general assignment reporter. She graduated from Carleton University with a Bachelor of Journalism in 2017. Elizabeth is passionate about telling local stories and creating community.
Read more