Skip to content

COVID-19: A look at the numbers for Newmarket, York Region, Ontario on Thursday

81 new cases in Newmarket, 15 outbreaks; York Region reports 947 new cases, 3 more deaths, outbreaks rise to 88; Southlake reports COVID patients decrease to 71, rise to 10 in ICU; Ontario reports 9,909 new cases, 35 more deaths, 3,448 hospitalized — 54% because of COVID — with 500 in ICU
bc-health-care-vgh-ubc-hospital-foundation
File photo/Village Media

Newmarket (reported Wednesday, Jan. 1 at 5 p.m.)

  • 5,702 cases of COVID-19 
  • 81 new cases since Jan. 11
    • 20 unvaccinated, 3 partially vaccinated, 86 fully vaccinated
  • 413 (+22) active cases
  • 0 more deaths, totalling 55
  • 15 (+0) institutional outbreaks: 
    • CBI Health, 1 client, 2 (+1) staff
    • Chartwell Barton Retirement Residence, 4 residents, 2 staff
    • Mackenzie Place Long-term Care Home, 6 (+2) staff
    • Selby Group Home, 3 residents, 5 (+1) staff
    • Eagle Terrace Long-term Care Home, 2 residents, 3 staff
    • The Renoir Retirement Residence, 1 resident, 1 staff
    • Community Living, 2 clients, 1 staff 
    • Chartwell Alexander Muir Retirement Residence, 7 residents, 10 staff
    • The Roxborough Retirement Residence, 1 resident, 7 (+2) staff
    • Southlake Regional Health Centre (unit outbreak #2), 10 (+2) patients, 2 staff
    • Southlake Regional Health Centre (unit outbreak #3), 4 patients, 1 staff
    • Canadian Back Institute, 4 patients, 1 staff
    • Newmarket Health Centre, 10 residents, 33 (+3) staff
    • Inn From the Cold, 14 clients, 11 staff
    • Southlake Residential Care Village, 15 residents, 42 staff

The Details 

  • 1,479 (+6) household cases close contact, or 26%
  • 365 (+5) non-household close contact, or 6%
  • 1,165 (+2) cases community transmission, or 21%
  • 494 (+14) cases institutional outbreak, or 9%
  • 1,665 (+58) cases under investigation, or 28%
  • 128 (+0) cases school outbreak, or 2%
  • 76 (+0) cases travel, or 1%
  • 326 (-1) cases workplace outbreak, or 6%
  • 1,580 (+22) cases age 19 to 34, or 28%
  • 913 (+12) cases age 35 to 44, or 16%
  • 899 (+17) cases age 45 to 54, or 16%
  • 748 (+10) cases age 55 to 64, or 13%
  • 477 (+8) cases age 4 to 13, or 8%
  • 377 (+8) cases age 65 to 79, or 7%
  • 356 (+2) cases age 14 to 18, or 6%
  • 198 (+4) cases age 80+, or 3%
  • 154 (+1) cases age 0 to 3, or 3%

York Region (reported Wednesday, Jan. 12 at 5 p.m.)

  • 85,974 confirmed cases of COVID-19
  • 947 new cases since Jan. 10 
    • 237 unvaccinated, 37 partially vaccinated, 674 fully vaccinated
  • 5,174 (-3) active cases
  • 3 more deaths, totalling 797
    • An 85-year-old Markham woman passed away Jan. 4 at Markham Stouffville Hospital, Markham (Onset of symptoms Dec. 28, exposure close contact)
    • An 80-year-old Markham woman passed away Jan. 8 at Mackenzie Health Hospital, Richmond Hill (Onset of symptoms Dec. 14, exposure unknown)
    • An 93-year-old Markham woman passed away Jan. 9 at Union Villa LTC, Markham (Onset of symptoms Jan. 8, exposure outbreak at Union Villa LTC)
  • 6,964 new cases in last 7 days
  • 86 (+6) institutional outbreaks: 
    • New outbreaks declared Jan. 12 at:
      • Chartwell Oak Ridges Retirement Residence (Outbreak #5), Richmond Hill
      • Chartwell Valley Vista Retirement Residence (Outbreak #3), Vaughan
      • Community Living - Richmond Hill, Richmond Hill
      • Community Living Central York – Aurora
      • Sunrise of Unionville (Outbreak #4), Markham
      • Vita Community Living Home - Vaughan (Outbreak #2)

COVID-19 cases reported by Southlake Regional Health Centre as of Jan. 12

  • Number of patients with COVID-19 in ICU: 10 (+1)
  • Total number of patients with COVID-19: 71 (-6) (includes critical care)

Active school and child care cases

  • 3,918 (+0) total cases schools and child care active and resolved: 2,951 (+0) students; 967 (+0) staff
  • 0 school outbreak
  • 0 child care outbreaks

Recovery Measures 

Vaccinations (York Region residents, administered anywhere)

  • 10,281 doses administered, 755 newly vaccinated, 8,943 dose 3 on Jan. 11
  • 82.4% residents with 1 dose; 77.0% with 2 doses, 34.2% with 3 doses
  • residents 12+ 89.5% 1 dose, 87.6% 2 doses
  • residents 5+ 86.6% 1 dose, 81.0% 2 doses 
  • 52.6% 5-11 vaccinated at least 1 dose

The Details  

  • 22,985 (+43) cases, or 27%, household close contact
  • 5,872 (+21) cases, or 7%, non-household close contact
  • 21,429 (+31) cases, or 25%, community transmission
  • 4,691 (+135) cases, or 5%, institutional outbreak
  • 22,642 (+723) cases, or 25%, under investigation
  • 1,129 (+14) cases, or 1%, travel
  • 2,139 (+0) cases, or 3%, school outbreak
  • 4,993 (+6) cases, or 6%, workplace outbreak
  • 24,080 (+259) cases age 19 to 34, or 28%
  • 13,942 (+176) cases age 45 to 54, or 16%
  • 12,356 (+141) cases ages 35 to 44, or 14%
  • 11,790 (+102) cases age 55 to 64, or 14%
  • 7,519 (+73) cases age 4 to 13, or 9%
  • 6,145 (+74) cases age 65 to 79, or 7%
  • 5,367 (+45) cases age 14 to 18, or 6%
  • 2,891 (+47) cases age 80+, or 3%
  • 1,883 (+27) cases age 0 to 3, or 2%

Around the region:

  • Vaughan 33,811 (+288) cases, 2,170 cases in last 7 days, 1,706 active
  • Markham 19,466 (+189) cases, 1,645 cases in last 7 days, 1,237 active
  • Richmond Hill 12,719 (+173) cases, 1,174 cases in last 7 days, 803 ^ active
  • Newmarket 5,702 (+81) cases, 555 cases in last 7 days, 413 ^ active
  • Aurora 3,664 (+60) cases, 371 cases in last 7 days, 275 ^ active
  • Whitchurch-Stouffville 2,690 (+36) cases, 250 cases in last 7 days, 175 active
  • East Gwillimbury 2,057 (+24) cases, 188 cases in last 7 days, 141 ^ active
  • Georgina 2,241 (+43) cases, 213 ^ cases in last 7 days, 136 ^ active
  • King 2,067 (+23) cases, 155 ^ cases in last 7 days, 106 active

 

Ontario (reported at 10:30 a.m. on Jan. 13, for Jan. 12)

  • 915,940 confirmed cases of COVID-19 
  • 9,909 new cases since Jan. 11
    • 1,336 unvaccinated; 303 partially vaccinated; 7,753 fully vaccinated; 517 unknown*
  • 35 more deaths, totalling 10,480 
  • 85.5% of cases resolved 
  • 3,448 (+182) total hospitalized: 698 unvaccinated; 179 partially vaccinated; 1,894 fully vaccinated*
  • 500 (-5) in ICU: 165 unvaccinated; 15 partially vaccinated; 181 fully vaccinated* 
  • 275 (+10) on a ventilator
  • *Vaccination status numbers may not match the daily COVID-19 case reports due to missing health card information.

Vaccinations

  • 89% ages 12+ 2 doses, 3% one dose, totalling 91%
  • 82% ages 5+ 2 doses, 6% one dose, totalling 88%
  • 78% all ages 2 doses, 6% one dose, totalling 84%

Data note from York Region Public Health: With the rapid transmission of omicron and recent provincial changes in testing eligibility and case management, case counts and outbreaks reported on the interactive dashboard are an underestimate of the true number of individuals with COVID-19 and outbreaks in York Region. Case counts and trends should be interpreted with caution. Public health units across Ontario are prioritizing case management of high-risk individuals and settings. Workplace outbreaks are no longer being reported.



Comments


Debora Kelly

About the Author: Debora Kelly

Debora Kelly is NewmarketToday's editor. She is an award-winning journalist and communications professional who is passionate about building strong communities through engagement, advocacy and partnership.
Read more