Skip to content

COVID-19: A look at the numbers for Newmarket, York Region, Ontario on Friday

Newmarket resident, 73, dies with COVID in Southlake outbreak; York Region reports 2 more deaths, 7 new institutional outbreaks, tallying 95; Southlake reports rise in COVID hospitalizations to 74, ICU declines to 7; Ontario reports 42 more deaths, hospitalizations rise by 184 to pandemic high of 3,814
covid testing car ontario
Stock photo

Newmarket (reported Thursday, Jan. 13 at 5 p.m.)

  • 5,760 cases of COVID-19 
  • 62 new cases since Jan. 12
    • 13 unvaccinated, 2 partially vaccinated, 47 fully vaccinated
  • 393 (-20) active cases
  • 1 more death, totalling 56
    • A 73-year-old Newmarket man passed away Jan. 9 at Southlake Regional Health Centre (Onset of symptoms Dec. 20, exposure outbreak at Southlake)
  • 15 (+0) institutional outbreaks: 
    • CBI Health, 1 client, 3 (+1) staff
    • Chartwell Barton Retirement Residence, 4 residents, 2 staff
    • Mackenzie Place Long-term Care Home, 6 staff
    • Selby Group Home, 3 residents, 5 staff
    • Eagle Terrace Long-term Care Home, 2 residents, 5 (+2) staff
    • The Renoir Retirement Residence, 1 resident, 1 staff
    • Community Living, 2 clients, 1 staff 
    • Chartwell Alexander Muir Retirement Residence, 9 (+2) residents, 11 (+1) staff
    • The Roxborough Retirement Residence, 1 resident, 7 staff
    • Southlake Regional Health Centre (unit outbreak #2), 11 (+1) patients, 3 (+1) staff
    • Southlake Regional Health Centre (unit outbreak #3), 4 patients, 1 staff
    • Canadian Back Institute, 4 patients, 1 staff
    • Newmarket Health Centre, 10 residents, 33 (+3) staff
    • Inn From the Cold, 14 clients, 11 staff
    • Southlake Residential Care Village, 15 residents, 44 (+2) staff

The Details 

  • 1,482 (+3) household cases close contact, or 26%
  • 367 (+2) non-household close contact, or 6%
  • 1,166 (+1) cases community transmission, or 20%
  • 504 (+10) cases institutional outbreak, or 9%
  • 1,704 (+39) cases under investigation, or 30%
  • 128 (+0) cases school outbreak, or 2%
  • 76 (+0) cases travel, or 1%
  • 329 (+3) cases workplace outbreak, or 6%
  • 1,595 (+15) cases age 19 to 34, or 28%
  • 928 (+13) cases age 35 to 44, or 16%
  • 908 (+9) cases age 45 to 54, or 16%
  • 754 (+6) cases age 55 to 64, or 13%
  • 479 (+2) cases age 4 to 13, or 8%
  • 382 (+5) cases age 65 to 79, or 7%
  • 358 (+2) cases age 14 to 18, or 6%
  • 200 (+2) cases age 80+, or 3%
  • 156 (+2) cases age 0 to 3, or 3%

York Region (reported Thursday, Jan. 13 at 5 p.m.)

  • 86,890 confirmed cases of COVID-19
  • 946 new cases since Jan. 12 
    • 222 unvaccinated, 46 partially vaccinated, 678 fully vaccinated
  • 4,951 (-223) active cases
  • 2 more deaths, totalling 799
    • A 73-year-old Newmarket man passed away Jan. 9 at Southlake Regional Health Centre, Newmarket (Onset of symptoms Dec. 20, exposure outbreak at Southlake)
    • An 87-year-old Richmond Hill woman passed away Jan. 11 at Elginwood LTC Home, Richmond Hill (Onset of symptoms asymptomatic, exposure outbreak at Revera Elginwood)
  • 6,912 new cases in last 7 days
  • 95 (+6) institutional outbreaks: 
    • New outbreaks declared Jan. 13 at:
      • Christian Horizons - Richmond Hill, community living
      • Christian Horizons - Richmond Hill House #2, community living (Outbreak #3)
      • Halsey Memorial Lodge, community living (Outbreak #2), Georgina
      • Oakdale Child and Family Services – Stouffville, community living
      • Reena Home – Vaughan, community living (Outbreak #2)
      • Sandgate Women's Shelter, Georgina
      • Yellow Brick House Shelter, Richmond Hill

COVID-19 cases reported by Southlake Regional Health Centre as of Jan. 12

  • Number of patients with COVID-19 in ICU: 7 (-3)
  • Total number of patients with COVID-19: 74 (+3) (includes critical care)

Active school and child care cases

  • 3,918 (+0) total cases schools and child care active and resolved: 2,951 (+0) students; 967 (+0) staff
  • 0 school outbreak
  • 0 child care outbreaks

Recovery Measures 

Vaccinations (York Region residents, administered anywhere)

  • 10,281 doses administered, 945 newly vaccinated, 9,379 dose 3 on Jan. 12
  • 82.4% residents with 1 dose; 77.1% with 2 doses, 35.1% with 3 doses
  • residents 12+ 89.5% 1 dose, 87.6% 2 doses
  • residents 5+ 86.7% 1 dose, 81.0% 2 doses 
  • 53.4% 5-11 vaccinated at least 1 dose

The Details  

  • 23,020 (+35) cases, or 26%, household close contact
  • 5,894 (+22) cases, or 5%, non-household close contact
  • 21,446 (+17) cases, or 25%, community transmission
  • 4,761 (+70) cases, or 5%, institutional outbreak
  • 23,412 (+770) cases, or 27%, under investigation
  • 1,131 (+2) cases, or 1%, travel
  • 2,139 (+0) cases, or 2%, school outbreak
  • 4,993 (+0) cases, or 6%, workplace outbreak
  • 24,333 (+253) cases age 19 to 34, or 28%
  • 14,081 (+139) cases age 45 to 54, or 16%
  • 12,512 (+156) cases ages 35 to 44, or 14%
  • 11,922 (+132) cases age 55 to 64, or 14%
  • 7,597 (+78) cases age 4 to 13, or 9%
  • 6,213 (+68) cases age 65 to 79, or 7%
  • 5,418 (+51) cases age 14 to 18, or 6%
  • 2,916 (+24) cases age 80+, or 3%
  • 1,887 (+14) cases age 0 to 3, or 2%

Around the region:

  • Vaughan 34,098 (+289) cases, 2,178 ^ cases in last 7 days, 1,667 active
  • Markham 19,711 (+251) cases, 1,628 cases in last 7 days, 1,175 active
  • Richmond Hill 12,851 (+139) cases, 1,103 cases in last 7 days, 760 active
  • Newmarket 5,760 (+62) cases, 559 ^ cases in last 7 days, 383 active
  • Aurora 3,692 (+41) cases, 369 cases in last 7 days, 239 active
  • Whitchurch-Stouffville 2,735 (+46) cases, 262 ^ cases in last 7 days, 161 active
  • Georgina 2,277 (+35) cases, 217 ^ cases in last 7 days, 132 active
  • East Gwillimbury 2,071 (+17) cases, 185 cases in last 7 days, 128 active
  • King 2,089 (+21) cases, 162 ^ cases in last 7 days, 109 ^ active

 

Ontario (reported at 10:30 a.m. on Jan. 14 for Jan. 12)

  • 926,904 confirmed cases of COVID-19 
  • 10,964 new cases since Jan. 12
    • 1,458 unvaccinated; 365 partially vaccinated; 8,518 fully vaccinated; 623 unknown*
  • 42 more deaths, totalling 10,522 (1 death occurred more than 1 month ago) 
  • 86.8% of cases resolved 
  • 3,814 (+184) total hospitalized: 686 unvaccinated; 167 partially vaccinated; 2,035 fully vaccinated*
  • 527 (+27) in ICU: 168 unvaccinated; 19 partially vaccinated; 185 fully vaccinated* 
  • 288 (+13) on a ventilator
  • *Vaccination status numbers may not match the daily COVID-19 case reports due to missing health card information.

Vaccinations

  • 89% ages 12+ 2 doses, 3% one dose, totalling 91%
  • 82% ages 5+ 2 doses, 6% one dose, totalling 88%
  • 78% all ages 2 doses, 6% one dose, totalling 84%

Data note from York Region Public Health: With the rapid transmission of omicron and recent provincial changes in testing eligibility and case management, case counts and outbreaks reported on the interactive dashboard are an underestimate of the true number of individuals with COVID-19 and outbreaks in York Region. Case counts and trends should be interpreted with caution. Public health units across Ontario are prioritizing case management of high-risk individuals and settings. Workplace outbreaks are no longer being reported.



Comments


Debora Kelly

About the Author: Debora Kelly

Debora Kelly is NewmarketToday's editor. She is an award-winning journalist and communications professional who is passionate about building strong communities through engagement, advocacy and partnership.
Read more