There were 47 new COVID deaths reported in today's Ontario update, all of which occurred within the last month, a number that is down from Friday's Public Health Ontario report.
There are 576 COVID-positive patients in Ontario intensive care units, according to the latest provincial update on Jan. 22 for Jan. 21.
In total, there are 600 patients in ICU due to COVID-related illness, but 24 are no longer testing positive for COVID.
Of the 600 in ICU, 378 are on a ventilator due to COVID-related illness, though eight individuals are no longer testing positive for COVID.
On Jan. 22, Public Health Ontario is reporting 6,473 new COVID cases, however, new case counts no longer reflect COVID-19 transmission in the province as testing is reserved nearly exclusively for hospitalized patients, and residents and staff at high-risk congregate settings.
Public Health Ontario has confirmed 990,832 cases of COVID-19 since the start of the pandemic, and reported 908,533 recoveries and 10,912 deaths.
The Jan. 22 updates provided by the province's public health agency and the ministry of health also reported the following data:
- 9,944 recoveries and 47 deaths since yesterday's report. The deaths reported have all occurred within the last month.
- There are 71,387 active, lab-confirmed cases in Ontario
- The new cases reported today include 885 unvaccinated people, 223 partially vaccinated people, and 4,765 fully vaccinated people. 600 cases were reported with vaccination status unknown.
- Lab-confirmed testing is mostly limited to those who live in high-risk congregate care settings or work in them. As such a majority of the people being tested are fully vaccinated as per provincial or workplace mandatory vaccine policies.
- 4,026 people are in hospital testing positive for COVID-19.
- Among the hospitalized patients not in the ICU are 783 unvaccinated people, 194 partially vaccinated people, and 2,079 fully vaccinated people. This would include some patients admitted for reasons other than COVID.
- There are 600 patients in Ontario ICUs with COVID.
- There are 378 COVID patients on ventilators.
- Among ICU patients are 216 unvaccinated people, 17 partially vaccinated people, and 227 fully vaccinated people.
- The province reported 36,396 tests were processed yesterday, resulting in a 15.9 per cent positivity. Another 16,149 tests are still being processed.
As of today's report, 11.5 million people in Ontario (79 per cent of the population) are fully vaccinated, and six per cent of the province has one dose of COVID vaccine. There are 5.87 million people in Ontario with three doses of vaccine.
For more on the province's breakdown of vaccination status, click here.